Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Mysterious unintentional highlighting: a common problem to avoid in module creation - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Mysterious unintentional highlighting: a common problem to avoid in module creation

10 replies to this topic

#1 ErikJon

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Dear friends,

Don't ask me how this happens--I just wanted to let you know that the problem was out there. What typically happens is that I download a new module, excited to read its contents, and to my surprise, discover that half the text is hightlighted with different colors, throughout the module, or else, only in parts.

Of course, those of you who use a bright white background on every bookview window, might never notice, as sometimes the highlighting is actually white itself. Try a light-gray background, however, and you will see it appear (see the screenshot below). This makes the text much more illegible. Other times the highlighting appears in a different color.

Of course, TW is supposed to allow the user to use different colored backgrounds, perhaps to make it easier to manage windows, or for those who work a dimly-lit room, and don't want the brightness of all-white windows to interfere with their reading. (Programs for recording studios often give their customers the option of having a darker interface, for just that reason).

Nevertheless, this is all somewhat beside the point, because, regardless of which background options you use for the book view windows, you will notice that the same mysterious highlighting problem occurs, not just with the module text, but in the "about" tab of the "module properties window." (See screenshot below).

What gives?

I am afraid I have no solution to report, but only the problem. I am hoping that Mr. Josh Bond will give us all the perfect fix, below, in a response to this post, or perhaps even Mr. Stergiou himself. In the meantime, perhaps a temporary work-around would be to "select all" of the text in each chapter of your new module--before preparing it for distribution--then, to choose "none" among the highlighting options on the color palette, while the text is still selected, and then repeat the process with each subsequent chapter (don't forget the title page and introductory material, too).

Meanwhile, maybe Mr. Stergiou will modify TW so that it will automatically remove such hidden highlighting, before allowing the user to create and distribute the module.

God bless you all for your hard work and you willingness to share the modules.

Attached Files

I'm an Independent Fundamental Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.001465 from a 32GB flash drive, with 1,000+ modules installed. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM. I also use the latest version of E-Sword only to access material that is either not yet available for TheWord, or else that is much less expensive in E-Sword format.

#2 dartmaster644

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

ErikJon....
I had the same problem when I downloaded this same Module up on E-sword. I messaged Josh thru his member name that this problem existed on the E-sword module. He got right back with me....describing it was due to changing the background colors. He was able in only a very short time to change the module on his end . I dowmloaded it again....and it is now "Perfect". There is at least one other person here on WordModules that has the same problem you and I have.As soon as Josh knows the problem exists he'll fix it....as he said to me.....its a very easy fix.

Dartmaster644

#3 ErikJon

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank, bro.
I'm an Independent Fundamental Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.001465 from a 32GB flash drive, with 1,000+ modules installed. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM. I also use the latest version of E-Sword only to access material that is either not yet available for TheWord, or else that is much less expensive in E-Sword format.

#4 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

The problem with The Historical Bible module is the text has a white background which is not visible unless you change theWord's background color. The simple solution is to remove the background color tags from the RTF code in the module, which I just done for The Historical Bible and re-uploaded it.

I'll do the same eventually to Fairbairn's module as well (the one with the green background text in the About section). The problem there is a bug with how T4 interprets background colors. The original text in the About section is completely uncolored but T4 adds that sometimes. Since my modules never have legitimate background colors,I usually do a search/replace of a module to to remove all background coloring. I guess it's a good idea to do it all the time to catch both scenarios.

#5 dartmaster644

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Josh....
Thank you from all of us....for fixing this "Fine Module" !

Dartmaster644

#6 ErikJon

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.

Perhaps, however, I did not express myself clearly. I have not encountered this highlighting problem only with the two modules mentioned above, but with at least thirty different modules, in the past year. I mentioned only two of them, just to illustrate the point.

I don't suppose it has something to do with a bug in the TW Import Tool? Perhaps this happens only with converted modules? Just a thought.

#7 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

The About section text (with green text highlights) is caused by T4, usually when the text was copied from an HTML source (web page). The white text background issue is caused by the module maker assigning a white background to the text and not of T4.

Both are corrected by stripping the background RTF tags from the module database.

Problems with the About section of a module don't concern me a whole lot since users rarely visit there. I try to immediately fix modules that have a background to the the main text since that interferes with the ability to use the module. (For that matter, I try to fix any module with a reported problem if it interferes with the reader's ability to use it).

Sometimes I remembered to strip the background colors from modules, and sometimes I did not. If you have a module with this issue, I'm happy to post an update.

Obviously, I'll add stripping the background colors from each module database as standard procedure for me, instead of something I used to do on a more random basis when finishing a module.

I guess I've heard no other complaints on this issue because most of the highlighting is a white background and most people do not change theWord's default white background color. For example, in the Historical Bible, you only saw this problem if you changed your background from white to something else.

I suspect Abby FineReader, the tool a number of us use for OCRing books, adds a white background to text. At any rate, it's very easy (less than 10 seconds) to fix a module.

#8 Scribe

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostJosh Bond, on 18 September 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Both are corrected by stripping the background RTF tags from the module database.
it's very easy (less than 10 seconds) to fix a module.

Josh, thanks for all your explanations and thoroughness. Would you share an example of the rtf code/tag before and after? Is it always the same code or could it be different for each module?
Scribe

#9 ErikJon

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Excellent information, brother Josh. I just hope that it somehow falls into the right hands, such as into those of future module makers.

If you don't have one posted already, I have always thought it would be good to have a page on your website, of general suggestions to the general public for preparing modules, how to avoid common errors, how to handle certain typographical issues, and so on. I must have missed it, if you have one.

#10 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostScribe, on 18 September 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Josh, thanks for all your explanations and thoroughness. Would you share an example of the rtf code/tag before and after? Is it always the same code or could it be different for each module?

The RTF tags that signal a background color (or character shading) are:

\chcbpat[0-9]
\cb[0-9]

Where [0-9] is a number signifying a color. The numbers can vary so in the search below, I account for any possible number (0-9 and up to 3 digits long)

I use a regular expression search/replace, where the search looks like the text below and replace with nothing:
\\chcbpat[0-9]{1,3}
\\cb[0-9]{1,3}

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 23 user(s)