Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Post your module requests here - theWord Modules - Page 4

Post your module requests here

248 replies to this topic

#31 darrel_jw

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Josh, that is a very valid point you bring up concerning Englishman's. I may be having a "used to be" moment back when I relied heavily on books, and yes in that day Englishman's Greek and Hebrew were VERY valuable. Granted, doing the same thing by searching without them may take a step or two more, but the effort to build those modules would be "stimulating"! So unless anyone else shows a strong interest why don't we back-burner my request and let me play some more with searches. Thanks for your input! Darrel

#32 MattSogo

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostJosh Bond, on 04 January 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

This is the raw OCR of a pdf. This could be pumped and dumped into a module, but it would be terrible. This text is not fit to be used. If someone had a lot of time on their hands, they should start the OCR process over in Abby Finereader to synchronize the OCR errors with the original PDF for corrections. But if you were going to do that, it would save hundreds hours to do a better scan of the original document at a higher resolution. It would be an unbelievably large project, although a great, high quality scan of the book would afford a much cleaner OCR process.

Josh, I am happy to hear you say this. Sometimes it's best not to make a module if the text is bad. For too long in the Bible community, volunteer module makers have had an anything-goes mentality. The focus has been on uploading a module instead of quality. The consequences have pushed people toward paid software and really hurt the free Bible community's reputation.

I like what you're trying to do and I just want to say "this is the right direction"! Keep setting the standards, brother. We all thank you.

Matt

#33 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for your kindness. The average verse by verse, full NT Greek commentary took 50 hours to create, including turning implicit references into explicit. And that's starting off with good text (although it had been saved in various word processors which complicated things).

Of course, Basil has put a lot more than 50 hours into his wonderful ICCNT creation. Good quality does take time. For this generation of module makers, Dr. Dave seems to be the "founder" (most veteran) of good quality modules.

I agree about quality. You give people bad quality modules and they won't trust you anymore. They'll go somewhere else, or leave the software all together.

#34 johnmweddington

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

What about Webster's Dictionary? Sometimes the commentaries use new vocabulary and it is handy to be able to quickly refer to a dictionary and continue on with my study.

#35 Jon

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

There is one on theWord site
http://www.theword.n...English.dct.exe

#36 keefus

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I see some great works recently made available by Messianic Jewish scholars like Alfred Edersheim and Dr. David L. Cooper (Thanks a ton, folks!) Now, how about Dr. Adolph Saphir and Dr. David Baron? I hope someone will take an interest in their work as well. Todah Rabah, brethren!!

#37 Christopher29

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

I would like to see "Earths earliest ages" by G.H. Pember made into a module

#38 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostChristopher29, on 19 January 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

I would like to see "Earths earliest ages" by G.H. Pember made into a module

Looks interesting, similar to what Doug Hamp teaches.

#39 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wuest's material is copyrighted (and sold commercially), so we cannot give the material away without permission from the publisher.

#40 wsnorm

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Is anyone working on The New Shaffs-Herzogs Encyclopedia?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 978 user(s)