Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Need help with strange LXX references. - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Need help with strange LXX references.

3 replies to this topic

#1 blcjr

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

I am working on Frame's commentary for 1&2Thess in the ICCNT series, and am encountering some strange reference to the LXX. I've checked his list of abbreviations, have searched the entire PDF, and have checked the list of SBL abbreviations, and cannot find an answer to my question. My google-fu, which is pretty good, comes up empty as well. So far, I've encountered two such references: "Sap." and "Reg." Both are in contexts which refer to them as LXX. The ".Reg." references appear variously as "1 Reg." to "4 Reg." In my experience with the Apocrypha, the only set of four books is Mac., and it cannot be Mac. because some of the chapter and verse pairs are impossible for Mac.

If anybody has any ideas, let me know. I'm going to cross post to the TW forum in case Costa or someone else there (and not here) might know.

Basil

#2 blcjr

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Someone came through for me over on the TW forum. 1-4 Reg. refer to 1-4 Kings, and Sap. refers to Wisdom of Solomon (but how we get from "Sophia" to "Sap" is a mystery to me. Anyway, I can now proceed to link these references.

Basil

#3 ajbrads

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sap will refer to the Latin 'sapientia', not the Greek sophia'

Blessings

#4 blcjr

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postajbrads, on 26 November 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Sap will refer to the Latin 'sapientia', not the Greek sophia'

Blessings
Yes, this was explained to me also over on the TW forum. It makes sense now, but a peculiar kind of sense, as I think it would make more sense to use Greek than Latin in referencing the LXX.

Basil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 24 user(s)