Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament

9 replies to this topic

#1 Chet

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

is there a download for this or a paid module? "Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament"
I thought the Thayer's Greek Definitions download was this Lexicon but its not. its like a very short version of it.

Also does anyone know why I cannot paste form my clip board in here? the buttons above "paste "paste as plane text" and "paste from word" don't wok either.

Thanks,
Chet

Edited by chetk43, 19 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#2 ZhaGe

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi Chet,
I have not seen the real Thayer Lexicon for TheWORD. You are correct that the one you can download from the official TheWORD website is only the definitions. The description (if you click on the 'i') is a little misleading perhaps:

Description: For over a century, Thayer's has been lauded as one of the best New Testament lexicons available. Both accessible and thorough, it is a work suited for the student of New Testament Greek. Thayer's provides dictionary definitions for each word and relates each word to its New Testament usage and categorizes its nuances of meaning. Its exhaustive coverage of New Testament Greek words, as well as its extensive quotation of extra-biblical word usage and the wealth of background sources consulted and quoted, render Thayer's an invaluable resource.

Not all of that is included in this short 0.6 MB ressource. You could try a premium module from the website that might give you some of the data you are looking for:
BDAG - A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd edition (BDAG) Posted Image 27.2 MB 10-May-2011 This is a paid module and requires an unlock key to be used.

God bless you and happy studying!
ἐκεῖνον δεῖ αὐξάνειν, ἐμὲ δὲ ἐλαττοῦσθαι.

#3 Chet

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

Yes have been thinking of getting that one, but is that the real deal or is it a paraphrased one also?
I bought the Eerdmans dictionary, but that one is a 2000 version and is not the same as the 1987 version, not even close.

From Logos:
Please note: Logos Bible Software recently published an electronic edition of Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible (print edition copyright 2000). The dictionary is newly written by a different team of contributors and editors. These two dictionaries, while similar in name, are not the same thing. The dictionary you are looking at right now was published in 1987 and is based on a Dutch encyclopedia

Im very disappointed with that purchase, as I have the 1987 version on my shelf, so I wont be getting rid of that.

#4 ZhaGe

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hi Chet,
I understand your disappointment. Keep the old one (I am Dutch myself :) The cover page on Costas' product page is identical to the new edition, besides he mentions a liberal slant in the content, so it came with caution ("Modern Scholarly" one and does not attempt to be faith-based.)
The BDAG is not a paraphrased or dumbed-down version. The price is very high (150 USD), and it states that it is the 3rd Ed, published in 2001. The reviews are pretty good. I do not have it for TheWORD but it was included in my LOGOS package. I have both programs, one is free, and the other was a gift. Unfortunately for the giver I use TW daily, and LOGOS only once or twice a month.

Blessings!

Edited by ZhaGe, 21 January 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#5 Chet

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

I cant believe how expensive that Logos Bible software is! wow But at least they offer a lot of resources.
I hope eventually theWord can get more.

By the way does anyone know if the Complete Word Study Dictionary:
OT and NT that you can buy for eSword can be converted for theWord?

Edited by chetk43, 21 January 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#6 ZhaGe

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi Chet,

Re Module conversion:
Generally speaking you are not allowed to convert paid modules. They are written for one program/platform only and may not be engineered to work in another program. The program is not for sale in Costas' site.
If you want to read more on the copyright policy on this website, (especially concerning converting modules that are purchased, or even when they are free for one program but not in another) read this thread and the conclusion by Josh Bond:

http://www.wordmodul...ch__1#entry1200

Re Number of modules:
Although Logos has a lot more new books, the total number of modules available for TheWORD in tremendous. Between Costas Stergiou, Josh Bond (this site), Doctor Dave, David Cox. Douglas Hampe there are over 3000 different modules!

#7 Chet

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

So I guess I wont be getting rid of my hard copy books LOL!
I thought about buying those book for esword, and using Both programs.

I don't understand these publishing companies, they are so particular about who gets there books, you would think they would want to make them available in any format just to sell them. But I don't know what is all involved with that, like between the publishers and the people who own the programs like esword, and theWord, or like Bibleworks, they cant get all the resources either, and even thugh a certain book is available in one version, like bibleworks 5 is not available in Bibleworks 9 anymore because they could not negotiate a deal.

#8 Patchworkid

theWord Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

hi if you like Thayers
check this out

http://www.wordmodul...tudy-bible-set/

In the dictionary I put Strongs, BDB, Thayers, LXX, TVM and hidden popups

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set
http://www.wordmodul...tudy-bible-set/

#9 David Cox

New to the website

• Members_
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Just for your information, Thayer was a universalist. If you get a paper copy of Thayer and look up Jesus or Christ (I forget which), down halfway through the definitions, he says something like "erroneously thought to be God by some people": Thayer denied the deity of Jesus Christ, so while he is "scholarly", i.e. his work is excellent as far as defining words, you do have to be careful with any of the bug-a-boo issues of universalists (universal salvation, trinity, deity of Jesus, personality of the Holy Spirit, etc). I have not seen much of Thayer's "slant" come through with using Thayer's work since 1978, but the few that do are whoppers!

David Cox

#10 rfsauers

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

I have just uploaded a full version of Thayer's Lexicon to the site. You can find it at http://www.wordmodul...greek-lexicon/. As I'm sure there are some errors, please let me know when you come across them so that I can fix them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 55 user(s)