Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 theWord Module Downloader -- End of this website? - theWord Modules

- - - - -

theWord Module Downloader -- End of this website?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Costas, the author of theWord, is making an integrated module downloader. He and I have discussed this about a month ago, as he sought my opinion.

My understanding is will be a module repository INSIDE theWord. You will be able to download and seamlessly install theWord modules INSIDE theWord. No browsers. No install files. No file explorer in Windows. All inside theWord.

Certain "publishers", like myself (and you too if you make modules), will be permitted to upload modules to this integrated repository.

If all of our modules are inside theWord, substantially more people will use them! The vast majority of theWord users (and e-Sword users too) never venture beyond the program itself--they never seek third party modules. But now, we could put our modules into the integrated theWord downloader and anyone who uses theWord could easily download them. If you can download them there, why would you come to this website? Or any other module website, since all modules will wind up in that repository?

theWord users rarely need these forums because Costas has his own forums. The purpose in originally starting this website was to make large, high quality modules available to everyone. The forums, blogs, and other stuff was just overkill and came with the website software. The real purpose was module downloads, and I'm just wondering if Costas' new downloader will alleviate the need for this website?

Josh

#2 namunja

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMombasa, Kenya

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Josh, I dont understand how this works.Downloading modules from within theWord? What about those who do not have internet connection? Have to download the modules in a cyber cafe and then transfer the downloaded files to their computers offline?

What about giving feedback on module quality and desirebility?

#3 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

We'll have to wait and see. I personally think the ability to leave feedback for modules within theWord would be good. It would also be nice to see how many downloads a module has. Not sure if theWord will support this functionality or how theWord will handle the internet connection issue you mentioned.

#4 MikeCindi

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Is the proposed installer similar in function to what eSword uses internally? There are several "what if" questions that I guess won't have answers until Costas releases more details such as what if he doesn't want to host some of the modules or has certain guidelines the limit what modules will be hosted/available. A "third party" site would be important in that case. Ultimately I suspect that traffic to this site would diminish if the downloader works well.

Edited by MikeCindi, 22 June 2014 - 08:45 PM.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5

#5 TEREX

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hey guys,

My question is what about people like me that create modules for their own personal use? Will we still have the ability to import, create and install our own modules? The flexibility of theWord concerning modules is one reason I totally switched to it as my main choice of use. I am no developer by any means so this may be a good idea for some, but for me this doesn't sound good. And having to have the internet to get module releases is bad as well, my internet is up and down all the time.

#6 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

No, I did not hear anything about you not being able to create and install your own modules.

The idea that Costas is now coding is a repository for all theWord modules that people currently distribute through websites. That repository would be accessible within the Word, with no download, browser, or installation skills required.

But nothing would stop you from making a module, giving it to someone else, and letting them install it--or you making a module for own use.

#7 TEREX

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

good to know, thanks for clarifying ;)

#8 daveme7

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

As of right now there is no way to download modules from within The Word software. Within the software it sends you to the website for The Word where he also provides links to other sites for modules including this site. Would keep this sight going-there is also a comfort factor as well-how people are used to doing things.

Just my opinion. Thanks for the website and great modules.
Dave Emme

#9 darrel_jw

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

Dave, the Downloader does work, as long as you have one of the latest Beta builds. I am currently running Beta 1425 and the Downloader works beautifully for obtaining any free or premium TW module.

Darrel

#10 daveme7

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

So I don't have to ever come to this website ever again-because I can download whatever is on here from with in the program? Am I stating this correctly because this is how I understand it? How would I do this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 186 user(s)