Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Changing Default File Location - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Changing Default File Location

3 replies to this topic

#1 Hinson

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

I want to change the location of my theWord files to my NAS drive so that I don't have to download modules once for my PC, again for my laptop, again for my work computer, etc. Is this possible and if so, how do I set the new path in word?

#2 Hinson

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Bump! Anybody???

#3 Jon

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

http://www.theword.n...th_the_conf.htm

You would have to edit the config.ini file
See the first entry in the table, for what you want to do.

#4 spaintrek

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

For some years now I have had TheWord on Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 and on Linux Mint Cinnamon (using Wine) in 4-5 PCs and laptops, all interconnected via a dedicated folder in Dropbox. It all works very well. You just have to allow a few moments for Dropbox to update any files on the server that you have been editting before opening the program in another laptop or PC. Sometimes conflicting files are generated (config.ini and modules). To avoid that problem you need to close the program after each use. To fix that problem, go into your dedicated folder and eliminate the versions that you don't want. Usually you want the latest version, but maybe not! Watch out! I have lost info by not allowing time for Dropbox to sync or by not closing the program down after using it. Beware!

If you want to try this very useful system, I would suggest the following:
  • Uninstall the main program (if you already have it installed).
  • Get a cloud server account--I use Dropbox so that is what I'll be using for this explanation.
  • Create a new folder in Dropbox...call it what you like. I call mine "The Word"; I have othes called "The Word Book Library" or "The Word library" for the bulk of my books, and can have a double or even triple installation--this way I cut down on startup time for my commentaries and dictionaries installation.
  • OPTIONAL BUT USEFUL: Copy the main setup program into that folder also for use in installing on other PCs.
  • If you have any, copy all your modules into this one folder in Dropbox.
  • Install the main program: When prompted during installation, install using the "one folder" mode. Select the "TheWord" folder in Dropbox as the default installation folder. The program will install there and will also find its modules there. (See attached pic from Linux laptop).
  • Repeat the installation process on each PC or laptop, starting from Step 6.
  • Enjoy!
Spaintrek

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 24 user(s)