Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 To Everyone Who Has Uploaded a Module: Your Help Is Needed! - theWord Modules

- - - - -

To Everyone Who Has Uploaded a Module: Your Help Is Needed!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

theWord Repository Background
We're going to make all modules on this website available through theWord itself! The website will stay, but in addition to being able to download from this website, theWord users will be able to download modules from this website INSIDE theWord. Anytime someone adds module to this website, the module will also be available for download inside theWord (even if the user never comes to this website).

Only a small fraction of theWord's users ever come to third party websites like this one. Most download theWord and use official modules. But now, our modules can appear inside theWord in theWord's "Add Titles" feature (on theWord's main menu).

What I'm Doing
I am coding have coded a "bridge" between this website's database and theWord repository. Whenever someone uploads a module here, it will automatically be available as a download inside theWord through the Add Titles feature. Also, when someone downloads the module inside theWord, our website will still track the module as being downloaded. Many uploaders like to know how many times their modules are downloaded and we'll still track that. The only difference is we're going to reach a larger audience, which is what module making is all about anyway!

What I Need From You
I need your help if you uploaded a module to this website! Review your modules here (must be logged in), checking for two simple things inside the module you created: the Module Identifier and the Version.

The Module Identifier and Version number in the module should match what's in the file listing on this website. More about each below. But here's a picture illustration. The rest of this post just describes in detail what's shown in this image:

Attached File  changes-needed.jpg   386.04K   14 downloads

1. Version Numbers
This website's file listing has a Version Number. And each the theWord module has a Version Number. Both versions should match. For example, if your module has a version of 1.0, the file listing on this website should also say 1.0. And the version number should use the proper format 1.0,1.5, 2.1, etc. You cannot use words or letters.

To make changes to the Version in theWord, Right click the module abbreviation (tab):

Attached File  version-number.jpg   187.77K   12 downloads

2. Module Identifiers
If you specified a "Module Identifier" when you made the module, EDIT your file listing on this website. And put the exact module identifier into the file listing that you used in the Module "Identifier" field in your module.

If you did not specify a "Module Identifier" when you made the module, EDIT your file listing on this website, adding the module Identifier. Add the same module Identifier to your module in theWord. A good practice is to use your initials (like JD for John Doe) and a number, such as JD1 on your first module. Or JD100 on your 100th module.

The module identifier must be unique. BIG PROBLEMS happen in theWord when a Module Identifier is not unique!

You can right click a module abbreviation (tab) in theWord, and choose Module Properties:

Attached File  module-properties.jpg   33.06K   2 downloads

Scroll down until you see the "Identifier" field:

Attached File  module-identifier.jpg   192.82K   1 downloads

What Happens If An Uploader Doesn't Fix Their Modules?
I will eventually edit the module myself, placing an identifier in your module and a version of 1.0. I'd rather you do it because it saves time and because you would have your own Identifier in place. Future functionality could be tied to the Module Identifier field, depending on what theWord's developer creates.

Also, adding or correcting the Version and Identifier will preserve the continuity of your module, allowing theWord users to see updates for your module while using theWord. If you plan on occasionally making modules, I think it's worth your time and let theWord users track eventual updates!

#2 DoctorDaveT

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Josh,

I've edited and reposted the 9 modules that I've uploaded here.
Dave
for more modules visit www.DoctorDaveT.com
I also have MySword Modules

#3 darrel_jw

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Josh, I am VERY pleased to see this taking place! I have been watching and waiting. Dr. Dave, I am also waiting and watching your site! :)

Darrel

#4 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

Our repository is now live in theWord! Some of our data is technically incomplete (such as module ID's) but over time, the authors of modules (including myself) will update the modules.

Attached File  theword-repo.jpg   526.13K   7 downloads

Getting the module data into a format acceptable by theWord was fairly easy. I first looked at this back at Christmas, but after reading the XML data format specifications, I concluded it was too complex. I don't know if I did not understand it or read it when too tired.

That's why I've offered to help create repositories for the other 2 large websites with theWord modules. I'd hate for technical obstacles to prevent them distributing their modules to an audience hundreds of times larger.. I have the code I just created which can be re-purposed for different situations. That offer stands for anyone anytime in the future needing help with setting up a theWord repository. I might should post that on theWord.net's forums in case there is anyone else that might want to setup a repository but don't understand how.

Anyone who wants to upload module(s) to this website just to get it into theWord's repository is welcome to do so as well (several people have asked that).

#5 darrel_jw

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Hi Josh,
This is a remarkable accomplishment (making a 'one-stop shop' for obtaining theWord modules). The only issue I see (I just downloaded 150 updated modules) is possible confusion between which module to install when the same title may exist in multiple places, even different dated modules on the same site. The concept is awesome. I hope these "minor" details can be worked out. Good job to all involved!

Darrel

#6 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Feel free to send me links to modules on this website that have 2 versions of the same module in different file listings. I did find a few examples of what you're talking about yesterday, mostly from a couple of uploaders who didn't know you could edit a file listing. They created a new file listing with each module update, and put a note on the older module listing to see the new listing. :D Usually, the older versions just need to be removed and it's a simple fix.

#7 Alexmt

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostJosh Bond, on 05 July 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

That's why I've offered to help create repositories for the other 2 large websites with theWord modules. I'd hate for technical obstacles to prevent them distributing their modules to an audience hundreds of times larger.. I have the code I just created which can be re-purposed for different situations.

Nice of you to offer. But a while back I tried to get a website that offers a lot of TW modules to put them in a repository. He was reluctant because people wouldn't donate to his website anymore and traffic to his website would go down. This could be more about money than you realize.

#8 Jon

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

View PostJosh Bond, on 06 July 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Feel free to send me links to modules on this website that have 2 versions of the same module in different file listings. I did find a few examples of what you're talking about yesterday, mostly from a couple of uploaders who didn't know you could edit a file listing. They created a new file listing with each module update, and put a note on the older module listing to see the new listing. :D Usually, the older versions just need to be removed and it's a simple fix.

Josh, the ICCNT appears to have multiple issues. In the Add Titles window, filter by 'icc' to see what I mean.

Jon

#9 Alexmt

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

Purely cosmetic suggestions for description inside theword...... Make image larger because a little hard to see. Put the name of the work at the top for reference. Maybe put a link to the original file page on this website in case people want to report a problem or review it or share it with someone in an email link?

#10 Alexmt

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Another idea but I dont know if it's possible? You know how you have categories like Commentaries, Books, Bibles, etc... Have a category called New theWord Modules just like on your front page. This keeps new modules from getting buried and makes it easy for people who only use the repository to see the new modules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 40 user(s)