Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Module on Biblical Context? - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Module on Biblical Context?

2 replies to this topic

#1 saskgui

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

Greetings all - I just download and installed theWord on linux mint using wine and so far it works flawlessly. I am blown away but the amount of content as I was recently looking at logos software but turned away by the price. So far theWord seems like more than I can handle and I am excited and thankful to be able to use this for free.

I have recently realized how imperative it is to understand the local context when understanding scripture. For example my recent view of 1 & 2 Corinthians has been changed forever after watching a youtube video touching on biblical archaeology, history and customs of the city of Corinth. My hope was that there was such a module that focused on the history of a city where say a particular letter of Paul was being sent to so I could better understand the context. So far I can only find dictionaries and commentaries but strangely enough no one seems to be focusing on context.

Are there any modules that might help us dig deep in the the particular context of the society that the books of the bible address?

#2 Cary Driscoll

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

Maybe these premium modules are what you are looking for...

https://www.thewordb...ommentaries-nt/

https://www.thewordb...-old-testament/

#3 tbeede

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, Wisconsin

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:55 AM

Saskgui, You are right in your quest for context. Scripture assumes the context it was written in, and often that context is the key to unlocking our understanding of a passage. Unfortunately, there is no way to wrap up context into a single package. There are a couple of valiant attempts - The Bible Backgrounds Commentary would be a good premium module for you that is relatively inexpensive. However, the best context, with respect to history, literature, culture, and other sociological considerations, typically comes from the introductions to technical or semitechnical commentaries. Many of the classic commentaries are available for theword. You can also get access to classic technical commentaries on the site archive.org in PDF format - that site is a gold mine, just like this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 7 user(s)