Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Copyright Question - theWord Modules

- - - - -

Copyright Question

13 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher29

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I dont know much about copyright laws and I was wondering if its ok for me to make modules from copyrighted material for my own personal use? There are some copyrighted material on the internet that I would like to make into a module just solely for my own use.

Edited by Christopher29, 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#2 DoctorDaveT

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes. That is fine. It falls under a section of copyright law typically referred to as "fair use." If something is freely available in one format, the consumer can convert it for personal use in other formats.

That's basically what TiVo is all about. VCRs, CD and DVD burners, etc., too.

There is a ton of good stuff available on the internet that is copyright. Grab it; format it; store it use; (just don't redistribute it!).

www.walvoord.com is a great place to start, by the way!
Dave
for more modules visit www.DoctorDaveT.com
I also have MySword Modules

#3 Christopher29

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostDoctorDaveT, on 06 January 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yes. That is fine. It falls under a section of copyright law typically referred to as "fair use." If something is freely available in one format, the consumer can convert it for personal use in other formats.

That's basically what TiVo is all about. VCRs, CD and DVD burners, etc., too.

There is a ton of good stuff available on the internet that is copyright. Grab it; format it; store it use; (just don't redistribute it!).

www.walvoord.com is a great place to start, by the way!
Thanks for the reply Dave!

One more question....

I have noticed that Dr Constables notes on the Bible is a paid module for theWord, but it is available for free with e-Sword. I dont really use e-Sword much anymore (I prefer theWord) is it ok to use the "twimporter" to convert it into theWord? I have hesitated to do that since its a paid module for theWord.......once again, only for personal use.

#4 blcjr

theWord Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostChristopher29, on 06 January 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply Dave!

One more question....

I have noticed that Dr Constables notes on the Bible is a paid module for theWord, but it is available for free with e-Sword. I dont really use e-Sword much anymore (I prefer theWord) is it ok to use the "twimporter" to convert it into theWord? I have hesitated to do that since its a paid module for theWord.......once again, only for personal use.
Are you sure the eSword version is the full version of Constable's notes? That question aside, the practical way to decide whether a particular use constitutes "fair use" is to ask yourself whether your use would deprive the copyright owner of expected revenue. If so, that is, morally and ethically, the same as stealing. If not, then let not your conscience be disturbed. In the instance you describe, I think it would not be "fair use" to take an effectively comparable version of Constable's (if the free eSword version is indeed directly and effectively comparable to the premium module available for TW), and convert it to TW, since to do so would deprive Constable of the revenue expected from the premium module. OTOH, if the free version for eSword is in any way less featured than the premium module for TW, then I would see no problem.

Hypothetically, though, if you had an eSword module that you'd paid for, and did not plan to continue any longer to use it with eSword, it would not be a matter of conscience to me to convert it and use it for TW. To me, that would be "fair use." We are close to splitting hairs, though, because no doubt some developers hope to profit from developing their product for different platforms, and to be honest, sometimes some additional labor is required to support a new platform.

Ultimately, someone can imagine a scenario that is difficult, if not impossible, to be sure of. In such matters of "judgment," I am always guided by 1Cor 4.3-4. Consequently, when I found a fully functional module for TW of Zodhiates "The Complete Wordstudy Dictionary," which was clearly an unauthorized conversion of the paid version available for eSword, I continued to use it, but simply bought a copy of the module for eSword. I do not use eSword, but I installed it, and purchased the eSword module, in order that my conscience might be free -- before God -- in using it with TW. Ultimately, you have to answer to God for these judgments. I don't think He will necessarily let you off the hook simply because you followed the advice of someone on an internet forum. ;)

Basil

#5 Christopher29

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postblcjr, on 07 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

In the instance you describe, I think it would not be "fair use" to take an effectively comparable version of Constable's (if the free eSword version is indeed directly and effectively comparable to the premium module available for TW), and convert it to TW, since to do so would deprive Constable of the revenue expected from the premium module.
I have downloaded Contables notes for e-Sword and to the best of my knowledge it is the complete commentary, and it is not the free sample version that theWord offers. I have never used the paid module version of Contables notes in theWord so I cant compare it to the e-Sword version. Its does seem like maybe its going a little beyond "fair use" and thats why I have hesitated. Constables notes are free online in PDF form though. I really like his commentary, but I dont like having to use e-Sword for it because it would be the only reason why I would use e-Sword.

#6 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I just now noticed this thread.

Yes, Constable's Notes offered for e-Sword is not only the complete version, but it's a newer version. Should you convert it to theWord? No, and that's why Costas and I have worked together stop automated conversions using his utility for this module. The license agreement that you must agree to in order to download this resource from BibleSupport says you will not extract the text from or reverse engineer the module. This is one of the reasons that license agreement exists.

Josh

#7 Christopher29

New to the website

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Ok, I appreciate the answers guys

#8 Jacob_apo

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

This is what the copyright rule say

Copyright Notice
Copyright 2012, Dr. Thomas Constable. All Rights Reserved. Used by BibleSupport.com with permission.

Unauthorized translation, republishing, file duplication, website or email distribution of any portion of this copyrighted material in any form, without the express written consent of Dr. Thomas L. Constable, or his appointed representatives, is strictly forbidden. You may use these Bible study notes for your own personal study or for teaching a class. You may download a copy to your PC, print, or make paper photocopies for a class or Bible study group, but charge only the cost of copying. You may NOT make changes and attribute the Notes to Dr. Constable.

===========
this means he has made it freely available to all just like it is available on website like this is using from biblesupport site - Just the consent from Constable is required to distribute freely.
https://www.studylig.../romans-11.html

Copyright Statement
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
========

then why it is a paid module in theword?

#9 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Dr. Constable's material is not public domain. Just because Studylight says it's public domain doesn't mean it is.

A copyright holder is free to charge for the their material and give it away at the same time. It's their material and their choice.

#10 Jacob_apo

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

Josh, the disclaimer says text courtesy by biblesupport dot com, it means they are using the e-sword text version distribution copyright to provide it free? is that true, if so we can freely distribute it on wordmodules for same. It means if it is free on biblesupport then we can use biblesupport's permission to distribute it anywhere in any form, freely. We dont need TW paid version.

Edited by Jacob_apo, 21 August 2016 - 12:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 107 user(s)