Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/wordmodules/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 975 Copyright Question - theWord Modules - Page 2

- - - - -

Copyright Question

13 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

View PostJacob_apo, on 21 August 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

Josh, the disclaimer says text courtesy by biblesupport dot com, it means they are using the e-sword text version distribution copyright to provide it free? is that true, if so we can freely distribute it on wordmodules for same.

You can only distribute copyrighted text if you have permission to do so. The same for theWord or myself or anyone. Just because someone else has permission to give away copyrighted material doesn't mean that you (or I) do. I would agree that theWord should ask for Dr. Constable's material for free, but if Dr. Constable says no, then you absolutely cannot distribute it after he said no. It's his material and he can, on a case by case basis, make a determination about how his material is distributed.

I think your misunderstanding of copyright law is you think if an author lets one person distribute his material, that another person also has that same right. And that's now how it works.

Josh

#12 Jacob_apo

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

That's what I am inferring from how studylight website is using copyright disclaimer. It is not using separate permission from each commentaries, but only using biblesupport (eSword) copyright permission as public domain for many commentaries.I think that makes sense. A free usage is clearly given to biblesupport- and it is not restricted to certain websites or softwares it is given to all, hence a it is free for all public.

If Constable is giving paid version for theWord then why should we assume that he forbids every TW user to buy paid version only and refrain from making a copy from public domain like studylight dot com is using?

#13 Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostJacob_apo, on 24 August 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

A free usage is clearly given to biblesupport- and it is not restricted to certain websites or softwares it is given to all, hence a it is free for all public.

If Constable is giving paid version for theWord then why should we assume that he forbids every TW user to buy paid version only and refrain from making a copy from public domain like studylight dot com is using?

I worry we're having a language barrier issue.

Constable has not given every website/software permission to use his material. Studylight made an error with the "biblesupport" attribution. Studylight's error doesn't mean the copyright holder loses its rights to the text. That's not how US law works. It's not how the DCMA works, which can be used to remove copyrighted text.

As for the free version on Studylight versus paid on TW, that is the choice of Constable. The copyright holder (Constable) is free to decide who must pay and who gets it free.

My guess is Studylight got permission from Constable and that Studylight erred in their biblesupport statement.

#14 Jacob_apo

Liking theWord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:44 AM

Josh. It is strange that Constable would discriminate his copyright for two different software (eSword and TW). As if TW may be a premium software for rich people like Logos. This is why I thought it may not be Constables choice to restrict TW permission to use free version. OR perhaps the paid version on TW is an older edition and the later version became public domain through biblesupport that is the reason that we are stuck with the paid version in TW. If so, then we have no ethical problem in converting and sharing the new and free version here.

Can u contact studylight to clarify this issue about all their copyright disclaimer through biblesupport on many commentaries.?

Edited by Jacob_apo, 25 August 2016 - 05:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 107 user(s)